"Talent without training is ability lost,
Training without talent is labour lost"
I remember, we debated on this issue over days. Ultimately we concluded that both heredity and environment are important in the making of a kid.
But my experiences as a teacher have proved it the other way. Genes do count in deciding the performance but they are not everything.
Today, I tell in parents' meetings, "Help your kid develop right mental make up, right values and right strategy". How can it happen? Do we have some simple means? The answer is in the affirmative. To put the strategy in a nutshell,
- Praise, support and encourage your kid. Keep warm relations. Inspire your kid and build up self-esteem.
- Teach your kid, don't blame. Negative approaches always fail.
- Keep assessing your child's strengths and provide varied opportunities.
- Teach your kid techniques of relaxation, concentration and performing with greater efficiency.
- Remind your child of success and steps to it.
Never goad your child with bribes, guilt, fear of failure, unhealthy competitive spirit, revenge or shortcuts.